National Council of Sports (NCS) has asked sports federations to submit their Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for resumption of sports activities.
Sports in the country has been on hold since the government put a ban on public gatherings in mid March.
NCS is a government statutory organ responsible to among other things; Develop, Promote and Control sports activities in Uganda on behalf of Government, under the Ministry of Education and Sports.
Council, in a circular seen by this website has asked all its member Federations and Associations to formulate their specific standard operating procedures outlining inter alia and what measures will be taken.
The members have been asked to also suggest social distancing modalities to be used, Possibly provide COVID-19 testing facilities at all venues and offices. Athletes and officials shall be required to take tests.
Other considerations include:
- Provide contact details for Athletes, officials and fans which will be recorded for case of tracing and contact if required
- Undertake temperature checks of all Athletes, officials and fans at sports venues or offices.
- Provide sanitizers, soap and hand washing facilities at all venues and offices.
- Ensure that gloves are worn by the team, event staff and officials.
- Provide closed disposal bins and containers at all venues for all disposables as well as provide hygienic materials like tissues.
- Athletes and officials do not share water bottles, clothing or any other personal items.
- Ensure the social distancing is practiced by fans and Athletes. This will be required ensuring that capacity of sports venues is assesses and limited fans are admitted to ensure safe social distancing.
- Ensure that anti Covid-19 containment measures and messaging are displayed at all venues.
- Ensure use of immersive and online technology where feasible to facilitate social distancing maybe used.
- Ensure that regular disinfecting of surfaces at sporting venues is mandatory.
- Put in place measures to ensure social distancing during access and exit of sports venues.
- Ensure all fans, officials and Athletes shall wear masks while participating in sports or in Venues.
NCS also set up a working committee to formulate the SOPs to guide Federations on possible resumption of their sporting activites in line with the existing guidelines of the Ministry of Healthy on the Covid19 pandemic.
The working committee will be chaired by NCS member Dr George Galiwango. FUBA president Nasser Sserunjogi and athlete Joshua Cheptegei are among the eight members on the committee.