National Council of Sports has released standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the resumption of sports in Uganda.
This is the first step as Uganda embarks on what promises to be a long and hectic journey towards the return of sports.
These SOPs were developed through an engagement with Uganda Sports federations/associations among other means.
They will be sent to the Ministry of Healthy for review.
When approved, these SOPs and will guide federations and other competition organizers in the implementation of the health and safety measures at the venues.
Sports in Uganda was stopped in mid March after a ban on public gatherings.
NCS has also asked Federations to check with them whether their activities can restart.
Low risk sports like Golf, swimming, Motor Sport, Cycling, Archery, Darts, Athletics is expected to return first as it can be conducted with social distancing and contact easily avoidable.
Higher risk sports like Football, Rugby, Basketball, Netball, Boxing, Handball etc that involve close contact between participants, faces a long walk to resumption.
Physical Distancing Guidelines include:
- Measures should be introduced to ensure social distancing during access and exit of sports venues.
- Place signs at entry points to instruct participants and visitors not to enter the venue/facility if they are unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Use signage and communicate separate entry and exit points (drop off/point up points) and separate participation space areas to minimise contact and maintain the required physical distancing.
- The capacity of sports venues should be assessed and determine the number of fans are admitted ensuring safe social distancing.
- Implement measures to restrict numbers on the premises, ensuring these comply with current stage of national restrictions and guidelines.
- Ensure physical distancing by placing floor or wall markings or signs to identify 2 metres distance between persons for queues and waiting areas.
- Consider using physical barriers (where practical) in high volume interaction areas to promote physical distancing.
- Remove seating or space seating at least 1.5 metres apart.
- Consider Bring Your Own seat measures (where applicable).
- Mark railings or ground to encourage appropriate distancing.
- Consider undertaking sporting activities in empty venues for high risk sports.
- Provide contactless payments or ordering and payment online.