Uganda’s middle distance runner Halimah Nakaayi set a new Uganda Women’s 1000m record during a Diamond League meeting in Monaco, France.
Nakaayi, however, came fifth in a race won by Kenyan Faith Kipyegon who finished one second shy of the World Record.
Despite missing out on a podium finish, Nakaayi’s time of 2:32.12 is the best any Ugandan female athlete has ever clocked in the 1000m indoor.
The previous record stood at 2:37.80 set by Winnie Nanyondo’s on February 10 2019 in Pas de Calais France Lievin when she finished behind Genzebe Dibaba.
Nakaayi’s new time takes over five seconds on the previous record by Nanyondo.
On Friday, Nanyondo came eighth in the same race, clocking a seasonal best of 2:36.54, which is the second best time in the race for any Ugandan as well.
Great Britain’s Laura Muir also broke Dame Kelly Holmes’s 21-year old British Record with a time of 2:30.82.
Ireland’s Ciara Mageean and Great Britain’s Reekie Jemma came third and fourth in that order.
Nakaayi won a gold medal in the 800m at the 2019 World Athletics Championship in Doha.
2020 Monaco Diamond League Results:
*Men’s pole vault:
- Armand DUPLANTIS (Sweden) 6.00m
- Ben BROEDERS (Belgium)
- Ernest John OBIENA (Philipines).
*Men’s 110m hurdles:
- Orlando ORTEGA (Spain) 13.11
- Andrew POZZI (Great Britain)13.14
- Wilhem BELOCIAN (France) 13.18.
*Women’s High Jump:
- Yaroslava MAHUCHIKH (Ukraine) 1.98m
- Yuliya LEVCHENKO (Ukraine)
- Jeannelle SCHEPER (LCA)
- Donavan BRAZIER (USA), 1:43.15
- Bryce HOPPEL (USA)
- Marco AROP (CAN)
*Women’s Triple Jump:
- Yulimar ROJAS (Venezuela) 14.27m.
- Gabriela PETROVA (Bulgaria) 14.18m
- Patricia MAMONA (Portugal) 14.08m.
- Hellen OBIRI (Kenya), 14:22.12
- Gidey Letesenbet (Ethiopia) 14:26.57
- Laura Weightman (Great Britain) 14:35.44
- Karsten WARHOLM (Norway), 47.10.
- Yasmani COPELLO (Turkey) 49.04
- Rasmus MÄGI (Estonia) 49.23.
- Ajla DEL PONTE (Switzerland), 11.16.
- Aleia HOBBS (USA) 11.28
- Gina LÜCKENKEMPER (Germany) 11.31
- Timothy CHERUIYOT (KEN) 3:28.45.
- Jakob INGEBRIGTSEN (Norway) in 3:28.68
- Jake WIGHTMAN (Great Britain) 3:29.47.
- Lynna IRBY (USA) 50.50.
- Wadeline JONATHAS (USA), 51.40
- Femke BOL (Netherlands) 51.57
- Joshua CHEPTEGEI (Uganda) 12:35.36,
- Nicholas KIPKORIR (KEN) 12:51.78
- Jacob KROP (KEN) 13:11.32.
- Noah LYLES (USA) 19.76
- Josephus LYLES, (USA) 20.30
- Deniz ALMAS (Germany), 20.64.
- Faith KIPYEGON (Kenya) 2:29.15
- Laura MUIR (Great Britain) 2:30.82
- Ciara MAGEEAN (Ireland) 2:31.06
*Men’s 3000m Steeplechase:
- Soufiane EL BAKKALI (Morocco) 8:08.04
- Leonard Kipkemoi BETT (Kenya) 8:08.78
- Djilali BEDRANI (France) 8:13.43.
- Nanyondo Fifth As Kipyegon Triumphs In Doha
- NCS Asks Quartet To Defer Reopening
- Sseninde Wants To Transform Women Football In South Sudan
- Onduparaka Ready To Meet season’s Financial Obligations
- Sports Resumption: NCS Issues ‘Strict’ Guidelines To Federations