Denis Onyango marked his return to Mamelodi Sundowns fold with a strong performance in a victory over Bloemfontein Celtic to win the Nedbank Cup.
Onyango had missed recent games for the Brazilians, including on the PSL final day, due to an injury.
On Saturday, he tipped over Victor Letsoala’s header at the close of halftime before denying Andile Fikizolo at close range late on in the game.
“It was really a tough game for us,” Sundowns coach Mosimane told SuperSport after the match as quoted by Goal.
“I think Denis Onyango saved us, two chances in the first-half and the second-half but the game came out exactly the way we expected because of the pattern that they play.”
His heroics, with Gaston Sirino’s strike in the 80th minute, handed Sundowns a 1-0 win to lift the Nedbank Cup at Orlando Stadium.
The triumph means that Sundowns have won a domestic treble in the 2019/20 season – This is their guest treble in the PSL era.
Sundowns lifted the PSL title last Saturday and had beat Maritzburg United to win the League Cup earlier.
They become the only second team to win the treble after Orlando Pirates who has achieved the milestone twice.
- Olympics: Preview, TV, Time As Cheptegei and Kiplimo target 5000m Success
- Transfers: BUL FC Prise Midfielder Kasonko From Arch-rivals
- CECAFA: KCCA FC Squeezes Past KMKM to Get Off The Mark
- UPL Transfers: Ssebwalunyo completes return to BUL
- UPL Transfers: BUL FC confirms departure of five more players