Uganda Hippos captain Gavin Kizito Mugweri has accepted Islam, his SC Villa teammate Asuman Alishe has confirmed.
Alishe, has told The-SportsNation that “Allah has granted Kizito light” before adding that his new name is Shamuran.
Both Kizito and Alishe stay together in Makindye.
“He had overtime admired my way of life, and since then confessed his love for Islam,” Alishe said.
“He has today cited the Shahadah and am already to help me remain in the right way.”
Shahadah is a statement of Islamic faith whose honest recitation in Arabic is all that is required for a person to become a Muslim.
Kizito joins a list of footballers who have converted to Islam including Mike ‘Sulaiman’ Mutyaba who recently hang his boots at KCCA FC.
Kizito who turned 18 in January, joined SC Villa in 2018 from Vipers JT and has notably lifted the Cecafa U17 and U20 Championships.
The SC Villa young defender has also played for URA Junior Team, Kansanga Rangers Academy and Galacticos.
- Taifa Stars Oust Namibia As Zambia, Guinea Share Spoils
- Ugandan Football Agent Arrested In Kenya For Alleged Match Fixing
- From Kyeyune to Shaban: How The Uganda Cranes Players Rated Against Togo
- Mckinstry Remains Positive Despite Loss To Togo
- CHAN 2020: Kyeyune screamer not enough as Cranes submit to Togo