CAF has called off the 2021 U17 Africa Cup of Nations that was scheduled for 13th-31st March.
The development was reached at following a CAF Emergency Committee met on Monday, March 08, 2021 in Rabat, Morocco.
CAF has stated that the Committee was made aware of the constraints faced by some of the participating member associations as well as the host country including the fact that the coronavirus pandemic continues to present significant challenges for the organization of international sporting events.
The cancellation comes after the FIFA U-17 World Cup was increased earlier.
The Uganda National team, The Cubs under the stewardship of Coach Hamuza Lutalo were already early birds in Morocco to instensify prepations.
The Cubs were to open their U-17 campaign against the hosts Moroco at the Moulay Hassan Stadium on March 13th, 2021.
Besides Moorcco, Uganda were to face Zambia and Ivory Coast in Group A.
Uganda’s only appearance at this stage was in 2019 in Tanzania.
FUFA has confirmed that plans are underway to fly the Cubs back home from Morocco.
It’s a big blow, especially to the players who wanted to prove their prowess at the bigger stage and build on the success of the Uganda Hippos who were beaten finalists at the concluded AFCON U20 in Mauritania.
- Najjemba Stars as Kampala Queens overcome Tooro in Women Super League
- History Beckons For Cash-Strapped Nemostars
- Vipers vs Express: Team News, Probable Lineups, Preview And Stats
- Kyetume Vs Wakiso Giants: Team News, Probable Lineups, Preview and Stats
- Big League: Ndejje University Strike Late To Deny Proline At Lugogo