Editor's Pickslatest

Express Powers Past Police To Keep Title Hopes Alive

Uganda Premier League
Express FC 2-0 Police FC
Mutessa II Stadium, Wankulukuku
Saturday, May 08

Express FC maintained their hopes of winning a first league title since 2012 as they defeated Police FC 2-0 on Saturday.

Eric Kambale put the Red Eagles ahead inside five minutes after he pounced onto a mistake by Police custodian Derrick Ochan who had raced from his goal to thwart the danger only to mis-time the ball and play it in the path of the Congolese-born forward to slot into an empty net.

The second came just after halftime through Godfrey Lwesibawa whose shot from inside the area was fumbled into the back of the net by Ochan.

On a wet afternoon at Wankulukuku, Express could have scored more only to be denied by poor finishing.

Substitute Frank Kalanda twice missed from good scoring positions, Kambale dinked a ball over Ochan but it went just wide and Lwesibawa could not sort his feet while through on goal.

Police too had chances but Muwadda Mawejje headed wide, Duncan Sseninde’s goal bound effort was cleared off the line by Isa Lumu while substitute Herman Wasswa headed over.

With Express leading 2-0, Police had a glorious opportunity to pull a goal back but Ben Ocen’s penalty was saved by Mathais Muwanga after Sseninde was fouled in the area.

The result sees Express maintain third spot with 46 points, level with Vipers SC and four adrift of leaders URA FC.

For Police, they stay in 5th with 37 points from 22 matches.

In their next fixtures, Express are away to Kyetume on Wednesday while Police host KCCA on the same day.

How both teams started

Express FC

Mathais Muwanga (GK), Denis Mubuya, Enock Walusimbi, Murushid Juuko, Isa Lumu, Mahad Yaya, Daniel Shabena, Charles Musiige, Martin Kizza, Godfrey Lwesibawa, Eric Kambale.

Police FC

Derrick Ochan (GK), Tony Kiwalaze, Eric Ssenjobe, George Kiryowa, Hassan Mahmud, Tony Mawejje, Yusuf Ssozi, Henry Kiseka, Duncan Sseninde, Ben Ocen.

× Have a story?
%d bloggers like this: