Editor's Pickslatest

Two Controversial Goals, Referee Stoned As 10-Man Villa Lose To Vipers To Exit Uganda Cup

Uganda Premier League
SC Villa 0-2 Vipers SC (AGG: 1-3)
Bombo Military Barracks Stadium
Wednesday, May 02

There was drama at Bombo as SC Villa lost 2-0 to Vipers SC to exit the Uganda Cup on Wednesday.

Play was halted for several minutes, late in the contest, with SC Villa players and technical team refusing to restart the game after conceding a second questionable goal on the day as Milton Kalisa’s fierce drive was deemed to have crossed the goal-line by referee Ronald Madanda.

The Jogoos who had seen midfielder Ronald Ssekiganda sent off on the hour mark for two yellow cards, had earlier conceded from a Bobosi Byaruhanga’s free-kick even though Derrick Ndahiro appeared to have cleared the ball before it crossed the line.

After lengthy negotiations, play was resumed and Vipers saw out the contest to progress to the semi finals 3-1 on aggregate.

In an eventful contest, Madanda was stoned by angry Villa fans as he and his officials made their way back to the dressing room during half time.

At the end of the game, Villa fans turned on their own players, asking for an explanation as to why they played-on after conceding the second goal.

Villa Made To Pay For Negative Approach

Having drawn 1-1 in the first leg at Kitende last week, the Jogoos came into Wednesday’s game needing to shut out Vipers so as to book a slot in the semi finals.

With that in mind, Villa sat back in the early exchanges of the contest, allowing the Venoms to dictate play.

Vipers who had just seen head coach Fred Kajoba throw in the towel and walk away from his role on Monday, struggled to create clear-cut openings until Byaruhanga curled-in a free-kick on 28 minutes which appeared to have been cleared off the line by Ndahiro only for Madanda and his first assistant to signal for a goal.

After conceding, Villa responded by taking the game to the visitors and creating good opportunities but came short in their attempts to score.

Striker Isaac Ogwang pounced onto a lose ball in the area but his attempt to get past Ssekagya was fruitless.

Ogwanga then collected a cross from
Andrew Kiwanuka only for his first-time effort to be saved by Ssekagya.

Hopes of a comeback were extinguished on the hour mark as Ssekiganda who was earlier booked for a rush challenge on Yunus Ssentamu was sent off after fouling Byaruhanga.

Having conceded a questionable first, Villa refused to re-start the game after substitute-Kalisa’s shot bounced off the under-side of the bar and was deemed to have crossed the line. It took intervention from several Villa officials for the game to end.

The Venoms who are still in the hunt for a double had chances to score more but Byaruhanga and Ceaser Manzoki failed to pounce on a rebound after Ssenkooto spilled Yunus Ssentamu’s low short, Karim Watambala headed wide from a good position while Orit shot wide from just outside the area.

How both teams started

SC Villa

Martin Ssenkooto (GK) Joseph Nsubuga, Derrick Ndahiro, Geoffrey Wasswa, Moses Kiggundu, Fred Agandu, Ronald Ssekiganda, Saddam Masereka, Isaac Ogwang, Nicholas Kabonge, Andrew Kiwanuka.

Vipers SC

Bashir Ssekagya (GK), Paul Willa, Aziz Kayondo, Livingstone Mulondo, Halid Lwaliwa, Siraje Ssentamu, Bobosi Byaruhanga, Karim Watambala, Ibrahim Orit, Ceaser Manzoki, Yunus Ssentamu.

× Have a story?
%d bloggers like this: