Loughborough Lightning won their maiden Vitality Netball Super league title after overcoming Team Bath Netball 49-32 in the 2021 Grand Final.
Ugandan Mary Nuba Cholkoh’s team, who had lost three finals previously in 2008, 2017 and 2018, overcame the league’s most decorated side to write own history.
The duo of Mary Nuba and England international Beth Cobden were exceptional , stepping up every time Lightning needed them especially in attack.
Lighting led 22-14 at the interval, pulled-off a third quarter come back from Bath, and propelled to a much deserved victory ending their 15-year wait for a Superleague title.
“We wanted to do it for the club, we’ve never done it before. The girls who have been here for years and the coaches, we’ve made history for Loughborough,” said an elated Cobden, who was named player of the match.
With starlwarts Borger and Sophie Drakeford-Lewis in their ranks, Bath put forward a spirited performance but it wasn’t enough to upsurp a determined Lighting side.
- CID To Probe UOC over Irregularities In Ssekitoleko’s Travel To Japan
- CECAFA U23: Mukwala Misses Penalty As Uganda Suffers Shock Exit
- He is Traumatised – Ssekitoleko’s Pregnant Wife Cries Out
- CECAFA U23: Najib, Anukani Start As Byekwaso Names Starting XI
- Olympics: Uganda’s Rower Kathleen Noble Falls Short