Friday, July 9
*Halimah Nakaayi (800m) – 9:18pm
*Winnie Nanyondo (1500m) – 10:16pm
Uganda’s middle distance running duo Halimah Nakaayi and Winnie Nanyondo will be in action tonight at the sixth meeting of the Wanda Diamond League in Herculis, Monaco.
The two are gearing up for the upcoming 2020 Tokyo Olympic games.
Last year, this is the meeting where country mate Joshua Cheptegei broke the men’s 5000m World Record.
Nakaayi returns on 800m track after finishing second behind Grace Kate of United States in Oslo on July 1.
The reigning World Champion will seek to improve on her best time of 1:58.04 this year which was just below her personal best of 1:58.70.
Other women’s 800m field favourites are Rose Mary Almanza (Cuba), Natasha Goule (Jamaica), Alemu Habitam (Ethiopia) and Great Britain’s Laura Muir.
Nanyondo has her work cut out against rivals Netherlands’ Sifan Hassan and Kenya’s Faith Kipyegon who will be vying to break the meeting’s record which is at 3:50.07 set by Ethiopia’s Genzebe Dibaba in 2015..
Nanyondo’s best time this year stands at 4:00.84 but she has to run faster than that if she is to have a chance at a podium finish in Monaco.
- CECAFA U23: Mukwala Misses Penalty As Uganda Suffers Shock Exit
- He is Traumatised – Ssekitoleko’s Pregnant Wife Cries Out
- CECAFA U23: Najib, Anukani Start As Byekwaso Names Starting XI
- Olympics: Uganda’s Rower Kathleen Noble Falls Short
- CECAFA U23: Uganda Vs Tanzania: Preview, Lineups and How To Watch