Saturday, July 17
*Ethiopia 3-3 Eritrea
Sunday, July 18
*Uganda Vs DR Congo, 1pm
*Djibouti Vs Kenya, 3pm
The 2021 CECAFA U-23 Challenge Cup got underway on Saturday with hosts Ethiopia and Eritremaplay out a 3-3 pulsating draw at the Bahir Dar Stadium.
The Habesha derby lived to the billing and set the platform for what promises to be an entertaining tournament after CECAFA opted to lower down the age limit to players of 23 years and below.
It was Ali Suleiman Ibrahim who produced a man of the match performance with an hat-trick that saw Eritrea thrice come from down to pick a point.
William Solomo Tesfae and a brace from Abubaker Nasir Ahmed had put Ethiopia in the lead.
The hosts coach Wubetu Abate, as quoted by CECAFA media, noted: “We missed several chances but we shall try to correct our mistakes ahead of the next game.”
Both Ethiopia and Eritrea go joint top with a point apiece in a three-team Group B that also has Burundi.
Burundi will play Eritrea on July 20 before facing hosts Ethiopia.
Cecafa U23 Pools
Pool A: Uganda, Tanzania, DR Congo
Pool B: Ethiopia, Burundi, Eritrea
Pool C: Djibouti, South Sudan, Kenya
- Olympics: Preview, Time and How To Watch Nanziri’s Bout With Tsukimi
- CID To Probe UOC over Irregularities In Ssekitoleko’s Travel To Japan
- CECAFA U23: Mukwala Misses Penalty As Uganda Suffers Shock Exit
- He is Traumatised – Ssekitoleko’s Pregnant Wife Cries Out
- CECAFA U23: Najib, Anukani Start As Byekwaso Names Starting XI