Ugandan: Peruth Chemutai
Event: Athletics, Women’s 3000m Steeplechase (Heat 1)
Date: Sunday, August 1
TV: Supersport Olympics 1
Uganda’s Peruth Chemutai will be seeking for a place in the final of the Women’s 3000m Steeplechase at the Olympics in Tokyo.
Chemutai, with a personal best of 9:07.94, will be in heat one.
The top three in each heat and the next six fastest advance to the Final due Wednesday, August 4.
The Ugandan will be fancying her chances in Heat One after avoiding Kenya’s Beatrice Chepkoech who broke the World Record in 2018 and Ethiopia’s Mekides Abebe.
However, Chemutai will also have to face US champion Emma Coburn who won bronze in Rio Olympics, Ethiopian youngster Lomi Muleta, 2014 Commonwealth champion Purity Kirui from Kenya and Bahrain’s Winfred Tavi.
Chemutai finished fifth in 2019 Doha World Championship with a time of 9:11.08, an improvement from her poor show in London 2017 where she failed to reach the final with a time of 9:43.04.
She posted 9:22.09 this year at the Doha Diamond League.
Chemutai will have to exorcise the 2018 demons that saw her win Silver at the World Junior Championships in Tampere, Finland.
- Best of Photos As Vipers Crowned Stanbic Uganda Cup Champions
- Uganda Cup: Vipers Humiliate BUL To Clinch Second Ever Title
- Onyango hailed After Sundowns Overcome Orlando Pirates
- Tennis: Uganda To Host 5th Edition of East Africa Junior Tourney
- Asante Kotoko Set To Confirm Signing of Uganda Cranes Striker