Uganda’s middle distance runner Winnie Nanyondo will compete in the Women’s 1500m semifinal on Wednesday at the ongoing 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Nanyondo powered her way into the semis after an impressive second position in heat three in the wee hours of Monday morning.
In what was a fast heat of three, Japan’s Tanaka Nozomi set the early pace but it was Kenya’s pre race favourite Faith Kipyegon (4:01.40) who crossed the line fast.
Nanyondo finished second in a time of 4:02.24 to fend off resistance fron Linden Hall.
She did not need to go through the top gears as her time on Monday is still outside her season best this year of 4:00.84 while her personal best is still 3:59.56 which she set in 2019 at the Rabat Diamond League.
The top six in each of the three heats and next fast six also advanced to the semis.
Nanyondo who earlier missed a chance to reach the 800m final, will be hoping for better fortunes this time round.
Missing out on the 800m final was hard to take in for Nanyondo who needed Noelle Yarigo from Benin to wipe away her tears.
- Best of Photos As Vipers Crowned Stanbic Uganda Cup Champions
- Uganda Cup: Vipers Humiliate BUL To Clinch Second Ever Title
- Onyango hailed After Sundowns Overcome Orlando Pirates
- Tennis: Uganda To Host 5th Edition of East Africa Junior Tourney
- Asante Kotoko Set To Confirm Signing of Uganda Cranes Striker