Financial constraints have thrust the Uganda Silverbacks in to a spot of bother with the side’s preparations to this year’s Afrobasket finals ill-fated.
The biennial tournament is just a fortnight to tip-off in Kigali, and in an ideal world, Uganda would have intensified preparations for the tournament. But that isn’t the matter instead. Reason ? No finances!
The Silverbacks have skipped out on a pre-tournament camp in Egypt with Federation of Uganda Basketball Association citing lack of funds.
The camp in Egypt was meant to put the players in good shape as build-up games against hosts Egypt and two other nations were lined-up for the Silverbacks.
The squad hasn’t convened yet to start training with FUBA once again locked between a rock and hard place.
Per sources, Uganda was expected to field 10-locally based players and two from abroad at the pre-tournament that started on Tuesday.
The-SportsNation has reliably learnt that Uganda’s participation at the Continental showpiece is now uncertain as FUFA still awaits response from State Sports Minister Hamson Obua and National Council of Sports.
The Silverbacks were placed in a rather a tricky group with powerhouse Senegal, Cameroon and South Sudan.
- Boxing: All Set For National Team Trials At Lugogo
- Kenya Vs Uganda – Must Know About U20 Women World Cup Qualifiers
- Uganda Cranes Vs Eastern Region: Preview, Probable Lineups and TV
- I’m building a Competitive Team – Alex Isabirye
- Lady Jills Triumphant As MUK Celebrates International Day For University Sport