Uganda Cranes left back Mustafa Kizza won his first Canadian Championship with his MLS side CF Montreal.
Kizza’s side registered a 1-0 victory over Toronto FC to claim Canadian Championship, thanks to Romell Quioto’s second half strike.
Despite their dorminance in the game, CF Montreal had to wait until Honduras Quioto’s 72nd-minute goal to dispatch Toronto FC and defend its Canadian Championship title.
It is Kizza’s first title since joining the American based side from KCCA FC last year in July.
However, the former KCCA left back was not named on the Match day squad for the finals but was available to receive his winners medal.
To reach the finals, Montreal dispatched HFX Wanderers FC 3-1 and Forge in a 8-7 penalty shootout that saw the goalkeepers decide the match, which finished tied 0-0 after regulation time.
This is an annual tournament contested by Canadian premier League clubs. 13 teams featured in the 2021 tournament with Montreal, Toronto and CPL champion Forge FC entering the quarterfinal stage.
Having won the championship, Kizza’s side sealed a place in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League.
- Airtel FUFA Awards: Bobosi, Najjemba Leave Munyonyo Cruising
- Handball: Uganda To Send U18 and U20 National Teams To Ethiopia
- Masaza Cup: Buddu Seek to Brighten Qualification Chances
- Hadijah Nandago Earns Uganda U20 Slim Advantage Over South Africa
- Pilsner UPL Awards: Titus Ssematimba, URA duo Nominated for November Gong